nanog mailing list archives

Re: Telcordia report on ICANN .net RFP Evaluation

From: Patrick W Gilmore <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 08:48:55 -0500

On Apr 1, 2005, at 1:07 AM, Dave Crocker wrote:

 I do believe that study is open to peer review?
Telcordia ranking VRSN way ahead does seem to be raising some hackles here

it is oddly interesting to see the persistent -- one might even say tenacious
-- clearly bi-modal clustering of assessments about Verisign.

From what I can tell, one cluster is primarily composed of people with serious (and probably larger-scale) network services operation experience and the
other cluster has pretty much no one of that ilk...

Interesting assessment! I had not noticed that the only outspoken supporters of Verisign were not truly operational.

But my recent post was not "against" (or "for", for that matter) Verisign. I am just disappointed that ICANN did not have the integrity to select a company that is _truly_ independent to judge the applicants.

Would someone from ICANN care to explain their decision process? I cannot believe they did not know the apparent conflict of interest.

--
TTFN,
patrick