nanog mailing list archives

Re: BBC does IPv6 ;) (Was: large multi-site enterprises and PI

From: Cliff Albert <cliff () oisec net>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:56:55 +0100

On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 08:48:43PM +0100, Daniel Roesen wrote:

I am looking from a RIPE point of view. Lately I see ISPs popping out of
the ground requesting ASNs and having actually only 1 upstream (there
are 2 upstreams in the routing database, but in the real world there is
only 1 upstream).

RIPE checks new ASN assignments after 6 months for evidence of adherence
to the rules. I've personally seen this happen for a customer ASN.

This is good, but it should also happen for ASN's that are already
active. An check for active use of the ASN and conforming to the current
rules every 6 months should be a nice thing. This way old unused ASN's
can be recycled easilier.

Probably RIPE will implement such a thing when there routing registry
consistency check software is complete.

--
Cliff Albert <cliff () oisec net>