nanog mailing list archives

Re: BBC does IPv6 ;) (Was: large multi-site enterprises and PI

From: Cliff Albert <cliff () oisec net>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:14:12 +0100

On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 10:56:31AM -0800, Owen DeLong wrote:

As I also stated in my last post (which you snipped out, and is pretty
relevant) is that the handing out of ASN's should be harder. Currently
ASN's are given to every silly dude that says 'i want multihoming'.

This simply isn't true.  It was true several years ago, but, is not true
now.  (At least for ARIN.  I don't know what the policies are elsewhere).

I am looking from a RIPE point of view. Lately I see ISPs popping out of
the ground requesting ASNs and having actually only 1 upstream (there
are 2 upstreams in the routing database, but in the real world there is
only 1 upstream).

--
Cliff Albert <cliff () oisec net>