nanog mailing list archives

Re: Stupid Ipv6

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 02:55:51 +0000

Just to introduce a touch of practicality to this discussion, it might
be worth noting that Cisco and Juniper took the RFC stating that the
smallest subnet assignments would be a /64 seriously and the ASICs only
route on 64 bits. I suspect that they influenced the spec in this area as
expending them to 128 bits would have been rather expensive.

        darn...  and we fought so hard last time we had to expunge
        classfull addressing asics/hardware in the late 1990s.
        looks like it crept back into vendor gear.  IPv6 was -never-
        supposed to be classful.

--bill