nanog mailing list archives

Re: Important IPv6 Policy Issue -- Your Input Requested

From: Joe Abley <jabley () isc org>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 15:29:02 -0500

On 11 Nov 2004, at 15:01, Leo Bicknell wrote:

In a message written on Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 11:16:04AM -0800, Tony Hain wrote:
The existence of the address space does not require nat. Being stuck in the mindset where there is only one address on an interface leads people to believe that nat is an automatic result local addresses. Assigning a local prefix for local purposes (like a printer or lightswitch) at the same time as a global prefix for those things that need to reach the Internet does not
require nat.

It's not clear to me that having multiple addresses on every machine
makes anything simpler or easier.

In particular, if I'm multi-homed to two networks, the "IPv6 way"
seems to have each box have an IP address on each network.

Rather than engage in another invigorating argument as to why the original vision of v6 multihoming is flawed in practice, it may suffice to say that these issues have been debated extensively in multi6, and commenting on the (several) proposed solutions to the general multi-homing problem on the multi6 list may be more productive than re-hashing the reason for multi6's existence on the nanog list.

Joe