nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPV6 renumbering painless?

From: "Christopher L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () mci com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:23:47 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Simon Leinen wrote:

Daniel Roesen writes:
On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 08:44:57AM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
We have renumbered IPv6 space a couple of times when we were
developing our addressing plan. (We have a /32.) Renumbering was
pretty trivial for most systems, but servers requiring a fixed
address were usually configured with an explicit prefix. This
should not have been the case, but most people configured IPv6
addresses pretty much like IPv4 and specified the entire 128
bits. Of course, after a renumbering, this gets fixed, so those
systems are usually OK the next time.

"specified the entire 128 bits"... how do you specify only part of
it?

On Solaris, you would use the "token" option (see the extract from
"man ifconfig" output below).  You can simply put "token ::1234:5678"

one presumes solaris <> 7 or 8 then, which solaris would this be in?

: man ifconfig | grep token
Reformatting page.  Please Wait... done

I'd note that a simple:
echo "up" >> /etc/hostname6.hme0

will get you 'autoconfigured' v6 on solaris 8 though, and add to
/etc/inet/ipnodes:
<node address> <node name>

and fix /etc/nsswitch.conf:
ipnodes:    files dns

after that, ping/traceroute/telnet/ftp all work correctly with ipv6. I was
cursing sun/solaris until I figured that part out :)

I think it's an advantage if servers can get their prefixes from
router announcements rather than from local config files.  Sure, you
still have to update the DNS at some point(s) during renumbering, but
that can't be avoided anyway.

and change that all when the interface on the server fries out and a
replacement is put into the box, with a new 'autoconfigured' ip address...
or if your 'service' is a virtual ip on a server... things get
complicated, it's 'fun' :) Autoconfig has it's place, which is far from
'everywhere'.

-chris
ipv6-n00b