nanog mailing list archives

Re: Open Source BGP Route Optimization?

From: "Sam Stickland" <sam_ml () spacething org>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 10:37:44 +0100

Are there any BGP extensions that would cause a BGP speaker to foward all of
it's paths, not just it best? I believe quagga had made some recent attempts
in this direction. IIRC the problem isn't to do with the route annoucements,
it's the route withdrawals. I believe BGP only specifies the prefix being
withdrawn and not the path, so if it's advertised multiple paths to a prefix
it's impossible to know which has been withdrawn.

Sam

Per Gregers Bilse <bilse () networksignature com> wrote:
At first I wasn't sure what a "route optimizer" was supposed to do --
the term is rather generic and could have a lot of different
interpretations.

A multi-path traffic balancing solution in the style of Cisco's OER
has to be tightly integrated with the routing infrastructure.
Specifically, it needs first hand BGP peer data in order to work
reliably.  There will be a number of cases where an add-on solution
might be able to improve on certain things, but there is one major
hurdle: a BGP speaker only forwards its own best paths, so an add-on
analyzer might well never learn about alternative paths.  The only
way for any implementation to reliably learn (all) alternative paths
and otherwise maintain routing integrity is by receiving BGP data
first hand, ie directly peer with transit providers and other peers.

Best,

  -- Per