nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cisco HFR

From: "Robert E. Seastrom" <rs () seastrom com>
Date: 27 May 2004 11:32:16 -0400

Macs and Lisas did this as well.

                                        ---Rob

"Alexei Roudnev" <alex () relcom net> writes:

I saw such technique in 1986 (approx) year on hardware level - russia
computer Elbrus did it.

: Re: Cisco HFR

On Wed, May 26, 2004, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

Palm has taken an interesting approach to get rid of fragmentation: the
OS is allowed to move (some) structures from one physical memory
location to another. This only works if the processes that use this
memory are written to support this, of course.

Its not a new technique - if you allocate memory "handlers" rather than
addresses and ask the OS/Memorymanager to lock a handler in memory
(and give you an address) then the OS/MM is able to move around unlocked
memory blocks, even on/off disk, at whim.

Win16 memory allocation looked like this, and I'm sure it was lifted
from something even older.

Its not actually a bad idea in a single-process standalone application.
It certainly beats using a VM in this instance.

Anyway, back to the network topics.

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd I'm only a fanboy if
<adrian () creative net au>     I emailed Wesley Crusher.