nanog mailing list archives

Re: Firewall opinions wanted please

From: Rachael Treu <rara () navigo com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 11:24:12 -0600

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 05:01:22PM -0600, Gregory Taylor said something to the effect of:
..snip snip..
As discussed in a previous thread, I spoke about transparent bridging used for packet filtering and mangling.  On a
small application, that might be a good idea, because you get all of the true internet access (i.e. legit IPs, no
proxying etc.) with the same ability to filter TCP, ICMP, UDP, IGMP etc. traffic.

Disadvantages to dealing with transparent bridging is that you run into the whole MAC address collision and excess
over-head announcements being made from the bridge itself every time it sends a packet through.

The best option I guess is to figure out how important it is for you to have a firewall,

_Everyone_ (network connected) should have a firewall.  My grandma should
have a firewall.  Nicole, holding dominion over this business network and
its critical infrastructure, should _definitely_ have a firewall.  ;)

Curses.  Budget constraints.  Bah.

what is the reason you need one and how important the data is on your servers.  That will help you decide the best
choice for a firewall or proxy application.

See above.  ;)

The importance of the data is often more and issue of calculating things
like redundancy and storage.  A firewall in this case should likely be
regarded as non-negotiable.

Be careful with transparent bridging in lieu of stricter edge filtering...
Also consider the efficacy and reward of firewall logs, application layer
filtering, and IDS integration (in a budget-friendly, open source flavor
of free...) down the road.

ymmv,
--ra

--
k. rachael treu, CISSP       rara () navigo com
..quis costodiet ipsos custodes?..

Greg

From: Nicole <nmh () daemontech com>
Date:  Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:27:16 -0800 (PST)

Hi
I am looking for a good but reasonably priced firewall for a 40 or so server
site. Some people swear by Pix, others swear at it a lot. Also I have heard
good things about Netscreen. Or any others you would recommend for protecting
servers on a busy network. Don't really need anything with VPN just the
standard http, ftp, ssh, https, type traffic up to 100mb throughput.
From what I have heard a proxy firewall would be best?

Thanks in advance!!

 Nicole

--
 -  nmh () daemontech com  -  Powered by FreeBSD  -
" Daemons" will now be known as "spiritual guides"
        -Politically Correct UNIX Page