nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verisign vs. ICANN

From: "Wayne E. Bouchard" <web () typo org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:25:49 -0700

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 05:58:00AM +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:

...  i'm not a defendant, just a named co-conspirator.

Hah? Are they also naming individually all the dns operators that installed
bind patch and specifically enabled it so that wildcards would not work?

the lawsuit doesn't mention the bind patch.  they seem to be upset about my
work on the ICANN Security and Stability Advisory Committee.  what their
"First Amended Complaint" says about me is that:

        Paul Vixie is a Site Finder co-conspirator [...].

        Paul Vixie is an existing provider of competitive services for
        registry operations, including providing TLD domain name hosting
        services for ccTLDs and gTLDs, and a competitor of VeriSign for
        new registry operations.  [...]

(y'know, i'd pay Real Money for Adobe Acrobat Professional for SuSE 9.1/amd64,
by which i could scan-convert PDF files instead of typing in stuff by hand --
my win32 laptop has more than 70 days of downtime and i'm going for 3 digits.)

verisign's official position throughout the sitefinder launch was that "users
are free to disable it if they want to."  they did NOT want this characterized
as them shoving their sitefinder service down anybody's unwilling throat.  so
i don't expect any action to occur against folks who installed a BIND patch.

Um, unless I really missed something during this whole episode, that
was the only way TO disable it.

---
Wayne Bouchard
web () typo org