nanog mailing list archives

Re: [OnTopic] common list sense (Re: Even you can be hacked)

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:08:08 -0400

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 11:50:26 CDT, "Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr." said:

Where is RFC 2821 is this requirement, by the way?  RFC 2822
says it is optional but seems to be less than useful in the
context here.

2821 is about the SMTP side of things.  By the time the MTA is handed
a list of RCPT TO's, it's waaay past time to argue about Reply-to:.
(As a matter of fact, careful reading of 2821 will reveal that there's
no *specific* requirement that the stuff between the DATA and final '.'
even be an 822-style e-mail - I've seen blecherous things that toss an
X.400 blob around in there instead...)

2822 and related would be the right place, as that's about the 822-style
headers on the mail itself.

As already noted by several people, Reply-To: doesn't necessarily impose
the proper semantics (and before anybody pipes up, Bernstein's "Mail-Followup-To:"
isn't perfect either, *and* there's not even an active I-D for it, much less
any sort of RFC).