nanog mailing list archives

Re: sniffer/promisc detector

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 14:22:31 -0500

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 12:55:17 EST, haesu () towardex com said:

by the time you think your enemy is less capable than you, you've already lost
the war.

On the other hand, does the fact that police usually only catch the stupid crooks
mean that police forces are a bad idea?

1) How often is your site graced by the presence of a script kiddie who *would* fall
for a honeypot, but who has enough exploits stashed to be a serious threat? (Remember,
it only takes 1 unpatched 1U back there in row 17, rack 4, for him to get a foothold).

2) How often is your site visited by a talented Black Hat who's more capable than you,
and who wouldn't be tricked by a honeypot?

3) How do you even know your answer to (2) is correct? Think long and hard
about this one - when was the last time you took *everything* down and booted
from known good media and checked for rootkits?  And how do you know it was
good media? (Go and re-read Ken Thompson's "On Trusting Trust" and Karger and
Schell's paper on a Multics pen-test, and then take another REALLY close look
at that boot CD.)

I tend toward paranoia.  However, I once received a box claiming to be from IBM
Software Distribution, with the format of shipping labels that IBM SD had, and
even sealed with IBM anti-tamper Q-tape the same way IBM SD does.

There was a birthday card in it.  Addressed to me.  From a friend who wasn't an
IBM employee at the time.  I was most impressed. ;)