nanog mailing list archives

Re: question on ptr rr

From: Randy Bush <randy () psg com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:05:33 -0500 (EST)

As I told you in another email, a good 40% of my mail on my personal
colo comes from sources without rDNS - mostly within India, from and to
some fairly large linux lists.

After all the filters that I use were applied - 682 unique IP addresses,
with no rDNS sent at least 6124 legitimate (assumed legitimate as not
caught by my filters) emails in the period from Feb 2 to Feb 10.

This box hosts mail for two large linux lists.  And hosts my email, and
email for my parents and a few friends. I and my friends are subscribed
to various local linux and other mailing lists - several of which have
no rDNS.

so, it's a long way from your 'tipping point'.

as your percentiles look worse than those here, do you think
it is indian dns maintenance or politics, or linux list
users, or both?

randy