nanog mailing list archives

question on ptr rr

From: garrett.allen () comcast net
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 11:25:39 +0000

this may be deemed off topic - if so apologies in advance. however i respect many of the opinions i see here so thought
i would take a chance and ask.

we are a stub network, injesting about 30k emails daily.  about a year ago we implemented a spam filtering product.  it
works well.  recently we turned on the knob to enable it to do reverse lookups.  only the mild version, a reverse is
made on the ptr rr for the ip address sending the email.  if it fails the spam filter issues a 421 and closes the
connection.  unfortunately, we have 6 sites thus far that are legitimately trying to communicate with us but don't have
ptr's associated with the ip address sending emails.  since it obviously isn't a requirement to have one is it
generally accepted to do so?  any sense for how many end networks do and don't?

thanks in advance.