nanog mailing list archives

Re: no whois info ?

From: abuse () cabal org uk (Peter Corlett)
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:15:54 +0000 (UTC)

william(at)elan.net <william () elan net> wrote:
[...]
Read NANOG archives - Verisign now allows immediate (well, within
about 10 minutes) updates of .com/.net zones (also same for .biz)
while whois data is still updated once or twice a day. That means if
spammer registers new domain he'll be able to use it immediatly and
it'll not yet show up in whois (and so not be immediatly
identifiable to spam reporting tools) - and spammers are in fact
using this "feature" more and more!

This tempts me to hack something into Exim that does a whois on
previously-unseen sender domains, and give a deferral if the whois
denies existence of the domain. Is this likely to have any meaningful
effect?

--
Just last week, someone called every morning to speak to President Gore. By
Friday, the operator was flustered, and finally snapped, "You call every day