nanog mailing list archives

Re: [OT] Re: Banned on NANOG

From: JC Dill <lists04 () equinephotoart com>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 22:32:37 -0800

Alex Rubenstein wrote:

We're not in school, we don't need suspensions. We need to act like adults, use this list for it's intended purpose. If someone is a dodo for a message or two here or there, then, well, we tolerate it and move on, maybe someone on the list sends that person an email saying, "Dude, your email was dopey, please stop." If the person continues to be a dodo, get rid of the problem. It's as simple as that. I think we all agree that RAS and Randy don't fall into the above category of having to be gotten ridden of. Again, it's all relative.

So, go ahead and ask, "But, that won't work, will it?"

My rebutt: It's how inet-access (people from 1993 to 2000 or so will know what this is) worked, and, well, except for the very occasional whack-job, it worked well. It was a useful list. The reason it died

Rumors of inet-access's death are greatly exaggerated. It's quieter now, but it's not dead, we had 168 posts in the past 3 months, so an average of about 2 a day. It tends to come in a bursty fashion, quiet for a few days, then someone posts a question and there is a flurry of replies.

had nothing to do with S:N on that list; it had to do with the fact that the industry supporting that list more or less evaporated.

Very true, there are far fewer ISPs (especially small ISPs) today. Subscription numbers to the inet-access list have been falling steadily since the dot.bomb. Many people who used to work at ISPs now work for vendors or other non-ISP companies and have left the list (or are just lurking these days).
List subscription info at: