nanog mailing list archives

RE: [OT] Re: Banned on NANOG

From: Alex Rubenstein <alex () nac net>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 00:18:10 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

I am going out on a limb here, and leaving lurk mode on this issue. If I get banned, well, Randy and I can start our own mailing list. We're as about as grumpy as each other.

I disagree with William entirely. Suspensions are idiotic, and only detract from the usefulness of the list. S:N is important, but so is being an human being.

People are people; we are not robots. This list serves a specific purpose, as does anything in life. Sometimes people do things with stuff that is out of bounds with said stuff, but, again, people make mistakes.

We're not in school, we don't need suspensions. We need to act like adults, use this list for it's intended purpose. If someone is a dodo for a message or two here or there, then, well, we tolerate it and move on, maybe someone on the list sends that person an email saying, "Dude, your email was dopey, please stop." If the person continues to be a dodo, get rid of the problem. It's as simple as that. I think we all agree that RAS and Randy don't fall into the above category of having to be gotten ridden of. Again, it's all relative.

So, go ahead and ask, "But, that won't work, will it?"

My rebutt: It's how inet-access (people from 1993 to 2000 or so will know what this is) worked, and, well, except for the very occasional whack-job, it worked well. It was a useful list. The reason it died had nothing to do with S:N on that list; it had to do with the fact that the industry supporting that list more or less evaporated.

Disagree with me, perhaps I didn't even make sense; perhaps that tells you about how much sleep I've gotten recently, or the insanity of this entire situation.