nanog mailing list archives

Re: Worst design decisions?

From: "Mr. James W. Laferriere" <babydr () baby-dragons com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 15:21:45 -0400 (EDT)

        Hello All ,

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Gerald wrote:
On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 up () 3 am wrote:
Actually, as awkward as those rubber hoods are, what I like about them is
that when you're pulling a disconnected patch cable through a rat's nest
of wires, they prevent the plastic tab from being bent backward.
Since you are the second person to point that out...
2 suggestions:
- 1. Cut the head off and re-crimp it if it has to go that far.
- 2. Use regular power tape, scotch tape, or duct tape to hold the tab
down until it has reached its destination. (You do keep duct tape around
right?) ;-)
        Best tape to use is masking tape it usually will not leave a heavy
        residue .  Just do not leave tape on them in storage any opf the
        tapes will leave residue & the tangs take a memory .

        But I also liked another type of hood that did not use a
        complete surround covering over the tang .  It was more of a thin
        spring tang same width as the rj45 tang & rising from the rear of
        the hood which went over the top of the rj45 tang & about half way
        down its length .  But even it had some of the bad properties of
        the rj45 tang it could bend & then it caught on everything or
        just broke off .  Tho it made the last slot near the bottom easier
        to contend with .  Twyl  JimL
--
       | James   W.   Laferriere | System    Techniques | Give me VMS     |
       | Network        Engineer |     P.O. Box 854     |  Give me Linux  |