nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verisign's public opinion play

From: Declan McCullagh <lists () politechbot com>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 16:55:06 -0500

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 11:41:14PM -0400, Mike Tancsa wrote:
http://news.com.com/2100-1038_3-5087139.html?tag=nefd_top
The article makes me wonder if CNET is the press, or an outlet for press
releases.  The Internet community is almost uniform in expressing outrage
for numerous REAL reasons, yet CNET says its from the Internet's technical
"old guard"....  Sorry, so where is the "new guard" calling for Verisign to
come back with sitefinder ?  Also CNET leaves un challenged the 'excuse of
the day' that Verisign without site finder "will not be able to protect the
Net's critical infrastructure"...

We've been covering the impact of SiteFinder since September 16. I
didn't write that article (I was in transit from a conference in
Canada) but I've written about five articles on SiteFinder so far, and
I'll probably write another today based on the ICANN committee
meeting.

Taken as a whole, I hardly think our coverage of SiteFinder is an
"outlet for press releases" from VeriSign or anyone else. Take a look
at our first article from September 16:

http://news.com.com/2100-1032-5077530.html
Criticism is quickly growing over VeriSign's surprise decision to take
control of all unassigned .com and .net domain names, a move that has
wreaked havoc on many e-mail utilities and antispam filters.
On Monday, VeriSign began to redirect domain lookups for misspelled or
nonexistent names to its own site, a process that has confused
Internet e-mail utilities and drawn angry denunciations of the
company's business practices from frustrated network
administrators. The Mountain View, Calif.-based company enjoys a
government-granted monopoly as the master database administrator for
.com and .net.

That said, being a news organization (instead of an advocacy
organization) means that we're going to try to represent all sides of
the story. Just as we've given space to Jack Valenti, I suspect we'll
give it to VeriSign when they have something sufficiently newsworthy
to say. As always, feel free to email us at:
send-letters-to-news at cnet.com

I hope you continue to read News.com.

Best,
Declan