nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verisign's public opinion play

From: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson () greendragon com>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 10:59:39 -0400

"Howard C. Berkowitz" wrote:

At 10:27 AM +0100 10/7/03, Michael.Dillon () radianz com wrote:
And this list is definitely not the place to
discuss writing a letter of protest. If political
activity is your bag, then try http://www.meetup.com

Mr. Dillon forgets that all inter-human activity, including operational
coordination, is a "political" activity.

Individual responses are less likely to garner attention than organized
pamphlets on organizing.

Writing a "constructed" response, I would agree, should either come
through an already existing group (e.g., IETF/IAB), or from an ad hoc
organization, which, in this context, MUST have a truly open process.

The IETF and NANOG were both originally designed as "ad hoc", "come
and participate", organizations.  The Internet itself could be
considered an "ad hoc" organization.  I don't see the need for another
such organization at this time and place.

That being said, writing something, even as an individual, which
strikes the interest of news media is not necessarily a skill
everyone here has. I do have some background in this, and would be
happy to work with a team, and with individuals to the extent my time
permits.

I have some background in this as well, going back to organizing for
the original NSFnet funding, and would be willing to assist Mr.
Berkowitz in this endeavor.

I hope to get to at least part of the ICANN meeting
We need a raporteur to inform us how the ICANN meeting goes.  Please?
--
William Allen Simpson