nanog mailing list archives

Re: CCO/cisco.com issues.

From: Charles Sprickman <spork () inch com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 20:01:25 -0400 (EDT)

First They Came for the IRC bots
and I did not speak out
because I did not run a bot.
Then They Came for the IRC servers
and I did not speak out
because I did not run an IRC server.
...skip a few years...
Then They Came for the DNSBLs
and I did not speak out
because I did not run a DNSBL.

Anyone who doesn't think that's an operational issue, just wait until it
bites you on the ass.

Let's add a very important line:

"Then They Came for the OC-3 or smaller connections
and I did not speak out
because I run fat OC-12 - OC-48 pipes"

It's my guess that the "top providers" that ignore cries for help because
they can sink the traffic (and bill for it) without breaking a sweat will
one day find themselves without a plan and without a clue when the Kiddiez
come pounding down the door with something that can saturate their pipes
and bring a major customer down.  I hope we don't have to wait until that
time comes around to figure out how to cooperate.

Now we have clear evidence that there are no less than three who
understand the threat.

Heh.  Why things like this don't scare everyone on this list sh*tless is
beyond me.

If anyone ever sees garbage coming out of 8059, hit the abuse@ address or
peek at Jared's list for phone info.

Charles