nanog mailing list archives

Re: Yankee Group declares core routing obsolete (was Re: Anybodyusing GBICs?)

From: Scott McGrath <mcgrath () fas harvard edu>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 13:50:27 -0500 (EST)

Funny I thought a "switch" was a multiport bridge... uses the MAC
headers to flood. ahh makes me long for the days of Kalpana.

                            Scott C. McGrath

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

Thus spake "Daniel Golding" <dgolding () burtongroup com>
Hmm. Don't you just love it when folks say things like "Layer 3 Switches
are
better than routers". Its very illuminating as to clue level.

I suppose what they were trying to say, is that products that were
designed
as switches, but are now running routing code, are superior to products
that
were designed as routers, and are running routing code. Of course, this is
demonstrably false.

"Layer 3 Switch" is like "Tier 1 ISP" - meaningless marketing drivel,
divorced from any previous technical meaning.

I've always stated that "switch" is a marketing term meaning "fast".  Thus a
"L2 switch" is a "fast bridge" and a "L3 switch" is a "fast router".  In
this light, the Yankee Group is just now catching on to something we all
knew a decade ago -- slow (i.e. software) routers are dead.

There's a more interesting level to the discussion if you look at what
carriers are interested in for their backbone hardware today; while I'm
obviously biased based on my employer, I've seen a lot more emphasis on
$20k-per-10GE-port "L3 switches" than $200k-per-10GE-port "core routers" in
the current economic climate.