nanog mailing list archives

RE: Anybody using GBICs?

From: "Tom (UnitedLayer)" <tom () unitedlayer com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:54:26 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 lance_tatman () agilent com wrote:
To be more clear, I'm specifically referring to Gigabit Ethernet
Converters and not SFPs for POS or SONET.  So, to reprhase, where in
your network topology, are you using Gigabit Ethernet, specifically GE
interfaces using GBICS?

I think you already got your answer...
Most people using GigE, are using GBIC's.
I don't think I've ever seen SONET gear with replaceable interfaces...

Are you using GE primarily for customer connections, server connections,
peering points etc. ?

I think anyone who's willing to pay for, or can justify GigE, is going to
get a GigE connection.