nanog mailing list archives

RE: Anybody using GBICs?

From: "Deepak Jain" <deepak () ai net>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 08:01:04 -0500

Lance;

      Having been on both sides of the fence, I know that it is hard
for router development engineers, especially at legacy vendors, to know
what is really going on in the market.  But for ISPs operators, the
audience of this group, your question comes across as a "duh" moment.

      Everyone I know is using GBICs on 95% of new purchases.  We are
a regional provider in a relatively rural rural region (Maine and New
Hampshire).  Even in this rural market 95% our purchases next year will
be GBICs running GE.  However, most of those GBICs will have some
involvement with Wave Division Multiplexing to get multi-GE rates.  10GE
is just not needed right now by us, but I suspect people in more
populated regions are using it.

        POS, Sonet and ATM are dead except for small players and some
legacy providers.  I am sure this is still significant niche.

The only reason someone isn't going to use a GBIC on a new GE purchase is
because
the vendor is requiring that we use SFPs or another pluggable standard to
get
what we are trying to accomplish. Cisco's 3750 is a good example of a
formerly
GBIC purchase that is now a 4xSFP purchase.

I can't think of any reason why you'd install equipment (new or used) today
that
uplinks at less than n x GE unless you have a large legacy investment or
user base.

If you question was a GBIC vs 1000BaseT question, that is a slightly
different
animal. Where ~100% of our networking purchases probably contained a GBIC
somewhere
last year, probably 5-10% of those this year are mostly 1000BaseT where
copper
is usable instead of fiber. This makes server -> network connectivity easier
and
less expensive.

Hope this helps,

Deepak Jain