nanog mailing list archives

RE: The Cidr Report

From: "McBurnett, Jim" <jmcburnett () msmgmt com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 14:41:40 -0500

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

Stephen J. Wilcox writes on 11/14/2003 7:16 AM:

So anyway, was discussing the cidr report at the last
nanog.. I was pointing out
that deaggregation is discouraged by the naming and
shaming and then someone
else pointed out that this list has scarcely altered in months.

So, what can we do as the operator community if this
report isnt having the
desired effect?

Stop accepting /24 type routes?
Please no... That will drop me off the map..

Yeah maybe but what about where the RIRs have assigned
independent /24 space..
or ISPs have subdelegated the IPs to a multihomed customer,
was more thinking
about where a bunch of routes originating from a single ASN
can be aggregated
rather than routing bloat in general. There are numerous such
examples of people
with eg a /19 announcing 32x /24 etc

Steve

I don't have the stats handy at the moment, but we decided to Multi-home
I researched several issues with /24 blocks. One thing that seemed to stick
out was that some providers were using /20 and /21 as "multi-home" blocks.
They were reserving that block just for /24 multi-homing.. and I also remember
that of the /24 being annouced independently, a majority of them were not
multihomed.......

just how bad is the auto-summarization at the upstream for the route propagation
via BGP in the large routers anyway?

Jim