nanog mailing list archives

Re: We have a firewall (was Re: Pakistan government orders ISPservice level agreement)

From: David Barak <thegameiam () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 06:23:59 -0700 (PDT)

<disclaimer>

I don't work for UUNET (uumci?  mcinet?...), although
I know Chris and others who do work there, and have a
biased, very good opinion of their skills and
approaches </disclaimer>

--- Scott Granados <scott () wworks net> wrote:

Unless you actually call UUnet and your not a
customer, God help you then.

Well, I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for this -
how many (non-networking) companies will do things
which don't benefit their customers on behalf of
someone who is not a customer (and shows no sign of
becoming one)?  I can't think of any offhand, and I
don't think that a whole lot would show up in an
exhaustive search.

The chain should be: if under attack (or whatever) -
you call YOUR UPSTREAM.  They should call their
upstream, etc.  Basically, you should call providers
with whom you have a relationship, and not call those
with whom you don't.  If you DO call a provider with
whom you don't have a relationship, don't expect the
highest quality of service!  To me, this is pretty
obvious: UUNet's policies are geared to help their
customers.  Duh...

Some companies are very very good at dealing with
DDOS, Internap being one
and UUNET if you are a customer another.  Even a
post here although maybe
not exactly proper will get you responses from
people like Chris and so on
who can and will be helpful.

Here you are dramatically benefiting from the altruism
and general nice-guy-ness of Chris, etc.. on the UU
Security team.  I'm glad that they help non-customer,
non-peers, but I'd have to call it going "above and
beyond".

just my $.0158 (adjusted for inflation)

=====
David Barak