nanog mailing list archives

Re: NOC responses when advised of ongoing DoS attacks (Was Re: We have a firewall (was Re: Pakistan government orders ISPservice level agreement))

From: David Barak <thegameiam () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 08:42:31 -0700 (PDT)

--- Niels Bakker <niels=nanog () bakker net> wrote:

--- Scott Granados <scott () wworks net> wrote:
Unless you actually call UUnet and your not a
customer, God help you then.

* thegameiam () yahoo com (David Barak) [Wed 07 May
2003, 15:24 CEST]:
Well, I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for
this -
how many (non-networking) companies will do things
which don't benefit their customers on behalf of
someone who is not a customer (and shows no sign
of
becoming one)?  I can't think of any offhand, and
don't think that a whole lot would show up in an
exhaustive search.

I'd have thought having a customer *not* waste all
their outgoing
bandwidth on useless data such as participating in a
DoS attack would
make for a happier customer.

If you're one of those believers in only your own
bottom line, perhaps
the liability stick is a good on to wave in your
general direction in
cases like this? (not stating that you are negligent
when advised of
DoS attacks in progress, of course)

All I'm saying is that it should be expected that
customers receive a much higher quality of service
(better response time, etc) than non-customers.

I've always been surprised that this is an issue -
perhaps network people expect a very high altruism
quotient from each other?

=====
David Barak
-fully RFC 1925 compliant-