nanog mailing list archives

Re: Open relays and open proxies

From: Adi Linden <adil () adis on ca>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 11:42:29 -0500 (CDT)

Amazingly, even though I am posting in this thread... it is *not* about
spam.
Don't be fooled by the mention of open relays.  Open proxies are abused for
many purposes, of which spam is a minor one.  I've seen open proxies in
recent DoS source addresses for example.

It's the spam that cought my attention. QoS usually only becomes an issue
when a single host produces massive amounts of traffic. Because of the way
our network works I rarely get to know what is actually causing the
problem, I just ACL the affected ip until the problem has been resolved.

Adi