nanog mailing list archives

Re: Open relays and open proxies

From: John Payne <john () sackheads org>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 10:36:23 -0400

--On Friday, April 25, 2003 4:31 PM +0200 Daniel Concepcion <dani () danielcp net> wrote:

> I think that the end of the spam and open relays will be  when the smtp
> servers talk only with servers  with trust.

Amazingly, even though I am posting in this thread... it is *not* about
spam.

Uops, sorry for the mistake ;) But for me the spam is really a big
problem  when use open proxys or relays or misconfigured smtp servers.

Don't be fooled by the mention of open relays.  Open proxies are abused
for many purposes, of which spam is a minor one.  I've seen open proxies
in recent DoS source addresses for example.

The big problem in dDoS are the smurf, virus and trojans. Generally every
machine infected have an open proxy. But the open proxy itself isn't
dangerous. They are only use as intermediate hop for attack machines or
control other trojans.

Sounds like you're arguing for widespread IP level blocking of open proxies then :)