nanog mailing list archives

Re: IP address fee??

From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu () deaddrop org>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 11:39:05 -0700

Tony Tauber wrote:

On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 01:36:27PM -0400, Derek Samford wrote:
Shane,
            There is a practice on that (At least here.).
            Generally we provide a Class C to our customers at no
            additional charge, but we have

Why in this day and age, 9 years after the invention of CIDR, are we
still refering to "class C"'s?

At least as importantly, why do 254 addresses get provided where the
actual need might not warrant that quantity?

Because it's easier to do the reverse DNS? Sorry to contribute to the
general noise, but that answer's close to the truth.

--
...some sort of steganographic chaffing and winnowing scheme
already exists in practice right here: I frequently find myself