nanog mailing list archives

Re: IP address fee??

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch () muada com>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 22:04:08 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Joe Abley wrote:

How many people learn about networks from certification courses or
in school, anyway? It was always my impression that people learnt
mainly by listening to other people.

Well, maybe, if you define "listening to people" as "reading what people
write".

If networking on the front lines is an informal oral tradition more
than it is a taught science, then perhaps it's natural for obsolete
terminology to continue to be "taught" long after it stopped having
any relevance.

Actually, I would assume it to be the other way around: if you only
communicate with people who are active in the field who are aware of all
the new tricks, how are you going to learn about obsolete stuff?

About classfulness: I think it's more relevant, even today, than many
people like to admit. Why is it that I can type "network 192.0.2.0" in my
Cisco BGP config and the box knows what I'm talking about, but "network
192.0.2.0/24" is no good?

If it doesn't do anything else, at least IPv6 will get rid of this
problem.

Iljitsch van Beijnum