nanog mailing list archives

Re: Routers vs. PC's for routing - was list problems?

From: "Steven J. Sobol" <sjsobol () JustThe net>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 21:04:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 23 May 2002, Dave Israel wrote:

Then why ot boot from a CD-ROM?  Sure, it moves, but only for the
few minutes it takes to boot.  Then it spins down and sits idle for
the n days/weeks/months until the next reboot.  It would probably
last as long as the solid state drive, and would be cheaper.

The big problem here, of course, is software upgrades.

CD's were the other option I was considering. I'd rather use CD's because
they are more durable than floppies. WRT software upgrades, the only thing
I'd be rebuilding is the kernel - you rebuild the kernel, create an ISO
filesystem, and rip it to CD...

Personally,
I'd just use a hard drive and initrd (under linux) and leave the hd
controller out of the kernel.  When it comes time to upgrade, reboot
to an alternate kernel that has the hd support code.  But that's more
of a discussion for a Linux list than here.

Yup. Topic drift...

--
Steve Sobol, CTO (Server Guru, Network Janitor and Head Geek)
JustThe.net LLC, Mentor On The Lake, OH  888.480.4NET   http://JustThe.net