nanog mailing list archives

Re: SPEWS?

From: "Steven J. Sobol" <sjsobol () JustThe net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:58:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Clayton Fiske wrote:

Fair enough. I agree with the idea in spirit. However, care must be
taken to define acceptable criteria.

Oh, absolutely. Escalation is not something that should be taken lightly.
e.g. for MAPS, escalation was (is?) only used as a last resort.

I think the concerns here (at
least my concerns) are that a) some organizations do it before exhausting
other avenues, and b) the avenues for removal from such listings can
be difficult to nonexistent (as is the case with SPEWS, from the sound
of it).

Agreed.

I think one must be cautious to avoid seeking vengeance on something
whose mere existence bothers them,

Yes. There are well-documented cases of people getting into trouble when
they let their personal opinions and emotions get in the way of running
such a list.

Agreed. However, my impression from the initial post(s) in this thread
is that the specific list(s) in question have not been doing this.

Yup. I think we have to be careful not to let this thread go completely
off-topic. I think I'm going to do a little more research before posting
further on the topic, though. As I said, I've never been in a situation
where I have to ask SPEWS to delist me.

--
Steve Sobol, CTO  JustThe.net LLC, Mentor On The Lake, OH  888.480.4NET
- I do my best work with one of my cockatiels sitting on each shoulder -