nanog mailing list archives

Re: IGP metrics on WAN links

From: Joe Abley <jabley () automagic org>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 13:24:38 -0700

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 02:11:29PM -0600, Me wrote:
I think you missed part of his comment:
" of course there are always some "twinking" done regularly to give higher
priorities to the higher bandwidth, link condition etc"

so fiber mileage is just the base, with modifications to make it work
correctly, based on bandwidth, etc.

Yeah, my (limited) experience is the opposite. At the previous large
operator at which I had enable, the IGP metrics were chosen primarily
according to circuit size, and were subsequently tweaked for other
issues (such as circuit latency, or the requirement to balance cross-
US traffic across non-parallel circuits).

In my experience, congestion is a much more effecive killer of service
than latency due to optical distance. Hence attracting traffic to
circuits where there is more likely to be headroom seems a more
reasonable first-order approach for choosing metrics.

That experience is all in networks where intra-AS traffic engineering
was done at the IP layer, however; in networks where there is a lower
layer of soft traffic engineering maybe other approaches would be more
appropriate.

Joe