nanog mailing list archives

Re: Sprint peering policy

From: Clayton Fiske <clay () bloomcounty org>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 12:06:18 -0700

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 01:36:00PM -0400, alex () yuriev com wrote:

Here's a fun exercise:  Drop your 5 busiest peers, and see if your
operating costs a) increase, b) decrease, or c) remain the same.

If your full cost of peering with UUNET (including things such as
depreciation) comes to $400 per mbit/sec and via a promisig local ISP you
can get transit to UUNET at $200 per mbit/sec, your costs will decrease.
Just because the IP is free with peering does not mean that it costs $0 to
peer.

Nor does it cost $0 on top of that $200 to buy transit. This may hold
true to some degree for a small-ish network, but probably not for a
larger one. Even factoring in depreciation, line cards, etc, I would
imagine you won't find OC3 transit in 4 cities from any ISP to be as
cheap as OC3 peering in 4 cities, for example. Add to that the chance
that, as a larger network, you'll probably be getting your pipes at
volume discounts.

I never meant to imply that peering is 0-cost. I just don't agree with
the blanket statement that peering (or lack thereof) has no financial
impact.

-c