nanog mailing list archives

Re: routing table size

From: Ralph Doncaster <ralph () istop com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 13:39:02 -0400 (EDT)

Off your network, your legal rights are pretty limited.  I (and I'm sure
lots of other admins) block at the /24 boundry.  Anything you announce
from /25 to /32 will be ignored on my network.  Some providers choose to
block according to RIR allocation sizes.  To me, that's not worth the
maintenance hassle.  To them, it may mean the difference between having to
upgrade or replace large numbers of routers last year or sometime in the
next few years.

I've never suggested accepting /25's thru /32's.  I'm wondering if the
people saying I should not de-aggregage my /20 actually practice what they
preach and filter /24's and don't globally announce /24's from their
customers.

-Ralph