nanog mailing list archives

Re: bulk email

From: "Joel Baker" <lucifer () lightbearer com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 14:53:35 -0600

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 11:53:58AM +0100, James Cronin wrote:

Hi,

I'm working on a bulk (opt in!) email delivery system at the moment,
and over the years I've heard a number of possibly apocryphal
stories about people requiring contracts with large email suppliers
(Hotmail, AOL, Yahoo, MSN etc..) in order to be able to guarantee
delivery and lower the risk of email that's been requested by an
end user being mistakenly blackholed or treated as spam by their
ISP (or webmail provider).

Has anyone ever actually come across such a contract in real life
or are they just urban myths?

The contracts... for most of them are urban myth. Perhaps not for all, and
since my NDA has now expired, I can say publically that I was involved with
Earthlink (just after the Mindspring merger) considering whether they would
need this sort of contract in some circumstances (and, more directly what
I was involved with, the inverse - contracts for bulk suppliers who were
not spammers, laying out what they needed to do to not get smacked with the
AUP).

I have also, recently, had problems with BellSouth's servers rejecting
legitimate mailing list emails to at least one user; it is not clear
whether the volume is the cause, but since the server in question isn't on
any of the open-relay lists, and is getting a 550 "anti-spam"ish error
message, while other servers can reach the same user perfectly well...

(Note: the lists in question follow all of the relevant RFCs, including
those for List-Id headers, Precedence headers, etc.)
--
lucifer () lightbearer com              http://users.lightbearer.com/lucifer/