nanog mailing list archives

Re: [OT]Microsoft makes networked software 'illegal' on XP unless you pay them...

From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 09:22:13 -0400

That's funny.

Yet another case of someone - either a company through licensing and
litigation, or a government through legislation - trying to effect both
software quality.

Forget the fact that such tools may be exploitable - if you're a computer
criminal, the fact you're violating a software license clause probably isn't
going to deter you from your actions, much like how 'drug crimes using a
gun' probably doesn't deter many drug criminals, either.

Instead of addressing the technical problem - eg, poor software development
and flaws in how the software works -  we're once again seeing it
legislated/litigated away (I'm thinking of Adobe E-Reader, DeCSS, etc here).
Talk about burying your head in the sand, which appears to be the status
quo, even in today's environment of security hysteria where we 'need to do
more'.