nanog mailing list archives

Re: Points of Failure (was Re: National infrastructure asset)

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 20:15:54 +0000 (UCT)

Sean Donelan wrote:

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Bob Bownes wrote:
But there was a point in time when taking out a certain parking garage
in Va could have caused us a very great deal of difficulty. But I'd say
we are past that, for the most part.

Are we?

When 25 Broadway failed, approximately 1% of the global Internet
routing  table also disappeared.  Which I would guess qualifies it
as a "major" hub.

But does that mean that X number of sites were unreachable, or that
there were simply Y number fewer routes to X sites? (Excluding those
*directly* affected, ie; those *in* 25 Broadway)

        From what point did 1% of the routing table disappear?
        Was the same visable from multiple, diverse points?

        I expect that from some perspectives, 100% of the routing
        table disappeared and some places didn't even see a blip.

--bill