nanog mailing list archives

Re: AT&T network recovery preparations

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 22:37:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 21 Sep 2001, David Lesher wrote:
http://www.att.com/ndr/ndr_e_d.html

Quote:
      (AT&T has never lost an entire central office),

Oh?

I'm thinking of that panel office fire in NYC, circa 1970.

I've spoke with one of the people involved in the recovery
of that office.  The AT&T switch continued to operate through
the fire and several weeks afterwards.  They have a tape of
a newscast where Mayor Koch is praising the efforts of New
York Telephone and the people of New York.

A better example is Hinsdale Illinois.  As far as I know, I
haven't met anyone personally involved with that one.  It
disrupted a lot of service, I don't think the fire destroyed
the entire building.

The most recent example is Rochelle Park, NJ; but I believe
that building was officially owned by Bell Atlantic.  There the
damage was limited to power equipment.

With divesture, the pre-divesture disasters as well as the Bell
logo went on to the books of the LECs.  AT&T's NDR has only been
around  since 1991. So the statement is technically correct, although
it omits some details.