nanog mailing list archives

Re: National infrastructure asset

From: Timothy Brown <timothy.brown () pobox com>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 10:43:21 -0400

But it does bring up another issue.  As far as I know, Exodus is
the only colocation designated a "national infrastructure asset.
http://www.thestreet.com/tech/internet/1090327.html

I have no idea what that means in practical terms.  But I did want
to raise the question.  As an industry, we aren't vertically integrated.
Instead its an inter-linked set of dependencies.  Its not like the old
days when the government could just call up Ma Bell, and find out what is
happening.

It is my understanding that the US Government has "national infrastructure"
inside Exodus facilities.  As for what that means precisely, it's anyone's
guess.  Security at the Exodus facility in Atlanta has always been pretty
good, but I wouldn't call it stellar.

I know that the USG at one point had significant infrastructure inside the
Atlanta facility.  I recall seeing some serious looking cages around routers
and Sun gear, but I couldn't say for sure; it was a long time ago.

Tim