nanog mailing list archives

generator cooling (Re: Re[2]: telehouse - 25 broadway)

From: "E.B. Dreger" <eddy+public+spam () noc everquick net>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 16:23:10 +0000 (GMT)

Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 11:45:26 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
From: Alex Rubenstein <alex () nac net>

From what I've heard from 32 Old Slip, the reason for thier
generators to fail was that the intake filters were clogged from
the concrete dust in the air.

Hmmmm.... although this situation is far from one's typical
power outage, maybe one should not rely on the radiator.
Ass-u-ming that one has a steady supply of water:

        s/radiator-cooled water/external water supply/

It works the same.  The only purpose of the radiator is to
facilitate cooling _without_ an external water supply, to reuse
the existing water.

Yes, a contastly-flowing external water supply is wasteful.  So
we make it "emergency only".  Note that the numbers represent
thermostat temperatures in degrees Fahrenheit[1], and the arrows
signify flow direction (check valves and water pump omitted for
simplicity):

                       ~~~~~~
                       supply

                       ~~~~~~

                          +------<------+
                          |             |
                          V             |
                     +--------+         |
                     | engine |         ^
                     +--------+         |
                          |             |
                          V             |
                       +-----+          |
                       | 165 |          ^
                       +-----+          |
                          |             |
                          V             |
                    +----------+        |
                    | radiator |        ^
                    +----------+        |
                          |             |
                          V             |        +-----+
                          +------>------+--->----| 195 |
                                                 +-----+

                                                  ~~~~~
                                                  drain

                                                  ~~~~~

[1] Apologies to the standards-abiding, metric-loving people out
    there.  I just don't feel like converting right now. :-)

Save for the high-temp thermostat and the external water supply,
it looks remarkably like a standard system with overflow.  The
big disadvantage to this design is that, if one runs out of
water, this _will_ overheat.  But overheating is imminent when
the high-temp thermostat opens (a prerequisite for running out
of water), so we were SOL anyway.

-- Alex Rubenstein, AR97, K2AHR, alex () nac net, latency, Al Reuben --
--    Net Access Corporation, 800-NET-ME-36, http://www.nac.net   --

Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (316) 794-8922 Wichita/(Inter)national
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence