nanog mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: Re: Digital Island sponsors DoS attempt?

From: John Payne <john () sackheads org>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 09:16:44 -0800

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 08:46:09AM -0500, Leo Bicknell wrote:

On Sun, Oct 28, 2001 at 09:26:02PM -0800, John Payne wrote:
I am trying to be good :)  If you change one word in your definition...
you cover the "small potential problem"  (which has been seen already)
without losing anything.

Unsolicited Bulk E-mail.

I'm not sure I like the use of the word bulk.  The reason is that
it is not precise.  Is 10 bulk?  50?  Is it only bulk if I use a
"spam tool"?

Bulk is more than 1 copy.  How do I know if something is bulk?
A simple test.  Is this something that could have been sent to someone
else with either no modification, or a trivial "mailmerge" operation.
It then becomes up to the spammer to prove otherwise to his abuse desk,
who will probably have received multiple complaints anyway.

Unsolicited, Commercial, and E-mail all have precise definitions.
particularly if we're going to get something (eventually) into a
useful law I think we need to make sure it is entirely defined of
precise terms.

Sure... but focusing on commercial is dangerous.

You do cite a good example of my "small potential problem".  Nothing
immediately comes to mind as a good way to catch it without causing
good things to get caught up as well.  I'm going to think about it.

My feelings are if its unsolicited and bulk, then it ain't good.

SPAM-L is one mailbox over that way ---->

--
John Payne      http://sackheads.org/jpayne/    john () sackheads org
http://sackheads.org/uce/                     Fax: +44 870 0547954