nanog mailing list archives

Re: NetSol's PGP auth ... and the road not taken

From: David Shaw <dshaw () jabberwocky com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 18:24:26 -0400

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 03:38:35PM -0700, J.D. Falk wrote:

On 10/22/01, Joe Rhett <jrhett () isite net> wrote:

i've been trying to add a pgp key to the verisign/netsol database for the
past two weeks. i've sent four messages, opened three web help requests,
and spent three hours on the phone with their helpdesk. they know less
than their customers about their own procedures and web documentation for
adding keys for PGP guardian auth.

Don't waste your time. We had PGP auth working for the last 6 years. It
will slow down any change you want to make by 3-5 days. Around 30% will get
rejected for no reason whatsoever, and much more fun stuff.

      I've had PGP AUTH broken for the last 6 years, and had the same
      kind of experience.  I just finished an ENTIRE MONTH of calling
      a couple of times a week to get a simple host record fixed.  In
      one call, somebody changed me from PGP AUTH to MAIL-FROM without
      effectively confirming that I was really me.