nanog mailing list archives

Re: NetSol's PGP auth ... and the road not taken

From: "J.D. Falk" <jdfalk () cybernothing org>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 15:38:35 -0700

On 10/22/01, Joe Rhett <jrhett () isite net> wrote:

i've been trying to add a pgp key to the verisign/netsol database for the
past two weeks. i've sent four messages, opened three web help requests,
and spent three hours on the phone with their helpdesk. they know less
than their customers about their own procedures and web documentation for
adding keys for PGP guardian auth.

Don't waste your time. We had PGP auth working for the last 6 years. It
will slow down any change you want to make by 3-5 days. Around 30% will get
rejected for no reason whatsoever, and much more fun stuff.

        I've had PGP AUTH broken for the last 6 years, and had the same
        kind of experience.  I just finished an ENTIRE MONTH of calling
        a couple of times a week to get a simple host record fixed.  In
        one call, somebody changed me from PGP AUTH to MAIL-FROM without
        effectively confirming that I was really me.

        VeriSign needs to cut their losses and start over.

--
J.D. Falk                                 "you can bomb the world to pieces,
<jdfalk () cybernothing org>                  but you can't bomb it into peace"