nanog mailing list archives

Re: Filtering Best Practices, et al (Was Verio Peering, Gordon's Knot)

From: "E.B. Dreger" <eddy+public+spam () noc everquick net>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 16:00:40 +0000 (GMT)

Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 07:58:19 -0700
From: Grant A. Kirkwood <grant () virtical net>

I'm currently in the process of setting up a new border router,
and the recent debate on the above topic got me wondering what
the best practice filtering policy is? Is there one?

And what do people put in place in terms of anti-spoofing ACLs
and such?  There's a wealth of information on these topics, but
no real consensus.

+ If you're running BGP, filter your as-paths and netblocks to
  avoid any unwanted redistribution.  This is always a bad thing,
  and long as-paths don't necessarily rule out a path being
  taken; remember that local-pref overrides as-path length.

  If it's an edge router, you needn't worry too much about prefix
  length -- they're already filtered for you.

+ You want to prevent forged outbound packets.  They have no
  valid[1] use, and forged packets make tracing DoS attacks a
  pain.

  [1] I recall hearing that some satellite downlink Web service
  required the ability to send packets from their netblock.
  However, you can selectively allow these, as you would you own
  netblock.

+ Disallow 10/8, 172.16/12, and 192.168/16 -- no need for them to
  go anywhere.

Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (316) 794-8922 Wichita/(Inter)national
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence