nanog mailing list archives

Re: HR 1542 [OT, anti-BS attempt, US]

From: Fletcher E Kittredge <fkittred () dargo gwi net>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 16:28:52 -0400

BTW, if you spend much time with regulators and lawyers, you will be
aware that there is a major difference between the cable network and
the PSTN.  After the mid-1930's, the PSTN was built by a company which
was guaranteed a specific, profitable rate of return.  The cable
network was built by many small entrepreneurs who were not guaranteed
a profit nor even solvency.  For that reason, the PSTN is more
arguably a public resource.

Except that most of today's cable systems were built while municipalities
could, and did, grant exclusive franchises. Overbuilding an incumbant
cable operator is as expensive and risky as becoming a CLEC - probably the
reason that neither CLECs nor cable overbuilders are showing much
commercial success.

If you can't tell the legal difference between the above cases, I
recommend you stay out of this discussion.

As to "small entrepreneurs" - that may have once been true, but I wouldn't
call AT&T/MediaOne/TCI, AOL/Time Warner, Adelphia, or Charter "small
entrepreneurs." These guys engage in monopoly tactics that rank right up
there with those of the ILECs.

1) You quoted me out of context.  2) Do you have a point?  Obviously the
above are  not small entrepreneurs. But then, I never said they were.

good luck,
fletcher