nanog mailing list archives

Re: QOS or more bandwidth

From: "E.B. Dreger" <eddy+public+spam () noc everquick net>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 13:28:38 +0000 (GMT)

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 14:13:50 +0100 (BST)
From: Stephen J. Wilcox <steve () opaltelecom co uk>

Altho you need to have different policies for your core and for your
customers.. it may be practical to increase bandwidth on the core and
avoid QoS (which imho should never be employed on the core).. but its
not always within a customers budget to upgrade from low speed circuits.

Although I generally agree, how does one keep QoS out of the core for CBR
and jitter-sensitive applications?

I think as the prices drop, smaller businesses are coming online but
still trying to use high bandwidth applications. As they are unable to

Many here must continually explain on other lists that speed and volume
are totally different games.  "High-speed" access != "high volume for
below cost".  Ughh.  (If I wire my house with a 400A main, and insist
on running 30kW all the time, I'm going to get a biiig electric bill...)

Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc.
EverQuick Internet Division

Phone: (316) 794-8922