nanog mailing list archives

Re: 95th Percentile again (was RE: C&W Peering Problem?)

From: "Nipper, Arnold" <arnold () nipper de>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 18:04:32 +0200

Geoff,

(My previous comments a month or so back about the inaccuracies inherant
in
95% systems still apply - given a particular (extreme case) traffic load
pattern it is possible for two measurement systems that are not phase
locked, using precisely the same sampling technique and computation to
deliver outcome values for the 95% point where one is up to twice the
value
of the other. )

my heart I can't see how the 95% relates to twice the value. More general
how would it look like for n, whereby 0 < n < 1?

--Arnold