nanog mailing list archives

Re: Few questions to the american ISPs [Re: DDOS anecdotes]

From: "Alexei Roudnev" <alex () relcom EU net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 18:39:25 -0700

Yes.

But 99% of the cable/provbider customers are residential ones, and so are not
multy-home, so simple
_SRC filtering by default_ implemented by the hw vendor can help.

And notice, thet this _cable residential users_ are most affected to the hackers
because they areusially non-skilled and non-professionals, and so it's very
important to prevent hackers from abusing them at least as a source for the DDOS
attacks.

(and for me the weakness of this customers looks like a great danger - they really
are very affected to be broken and abused, and (on the other hand) they make a
bridge to the more serious hacking because they have some passwords/logins on
their home sites).